Tuesday, October 13, 2009

5K: Mosquitoes & A Simple Lesson

Okay, so I don't have any pics to prove I was there.....but I did the Fair 5K with the other crazy valley runners on Saturday. It was a beautiful cool morning, but the mosquitoes were out in full force. The run was fun--even saw a few good friends. I even manged to finish in 29:53...slow I know, but it felt fast to me...maybe just because I was running to get away from the mosquitoes! (Too funny--the mosquitoes were all on Powerline Rd. by my in-laws house which we ran right in front of!)

Two little twin boys ran ahead of me most of the race. They looked about 4, but later their Dad told me they were 6 (told ya I was slow!). These boys ran and ran...one boy would often get a bit side tracked and slow down and even vear off the beaten path. The other boy would often have to stop, turn around, and guide his brother's attention back to the task at hand by putting his arm around his shoulders or holding his hand. The side-tracked boy would be guided back and then later sprint ahead and the cycle would start all over. The scene was priceless--I was amazed by the determination of the guiding boy and the perserverance of the side-tracked one. It reminded me that I don't run alone...I don't go through life alone...I have a big brother named Jesus Christ that will lead and guide me too...and he'll even help me when I get sidetracked like I often do. What a great reminder of a simple lesson on a race day!

2 comments:

Heather A said...

What a good observation! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you guys have been having lots of fun with pumpkins and such. We will miss our tradition of going to a pumpkin patch this year. They don't have any of those around here and it is usually snowy by this time (although we've been lucky this year.)

Unknown said...

Love the analogy...you are really getting into this running thing. Makes me feel fat and lazy!
Thanks for sharing