Friday, January 29, 2010

Positive for Pertussis

"WHAT?! This is crazy?! I can't even believe this!" That is definitely what went through my head yesterday...
I had spent the day watching my niece, hanging with Travis, going on a nice run, and making cinnamon rolls to be delivered to some special family members and my VT sisters. I was just wrapping up some birthday gifts for the weekend and making plans for the evening when I got a phone call. It was the DON from the hospital...my Pertussis or Whooping Cough test was POSITIVE!
The story really starts back in December...when my cough started. I guess at one point in early to mid December I probably had what I thought was a cold--runny nose, cough, mild fevers, etc. I have many a mild cold in my day with my profession, so I didn't think much about it then and honestly can't even pin point the days I actually felt sick. The cough seemed to linger for days and then weeks. I just attributed it to allergies and didn't think much about it. Then, early this month, the cough seemed to be getting worse. I noticed this especially at night when I was at work. But still, I wasn't SICK...so I didn't bother to see my Dr. Then, one night at work as I ate cough drops like candy with no relief, one of the ED providers mentioned what a bad cough I had. I laughed and said, "Yeah, it must be whooping cough 'cuz I've had it for weeks." The Dr.--the eccentric white hair funny man that he is--immediately agreed with me (and I had been joking!). He discussed my symptoms with me and then encouraged me to get tested. So I had my blood drawn and it was off to the lab. This was early in the weekend, and by Monday my cough seemed to be improving so I called the lab and told them to just cancel the test and not to worry about it. And since....my cough has continued to improve and I hadn't given much thought to it...tell the phone call. Guess you could say that's about all this is on my mind now.
I have been placed on antibiotics (AZithromycin) for 5 days and am basically quarantined to my house and considered contagious until the antibiocs are finished. They are treating Jason too, but aren't worried at all about my kids (despite the fact that I do since they both have coughs) because the kids have both been vaccinated....and their vaccinations are recent (since they are young.) This is nuts....oh, the fun--that's what I get for being an old ED nurse right?! Guess I can get caught up on blogging and such!
If you are concerned about yourself or your symptoms....call your Dr. ASAP!
If you have more questions...check out pertussis.com and medicinenet.com and mayoclinic.com. (There is tons of information on the web!) I am sorry and feel horrible about possibly infecting anyone...especially my loved ones.

**New update 430pm--The State epidemiologist made the trek to Safford due to my "case". I was called and they wanted to test my kiddos--nasaly thankfully but it was still torture on them.
We won't know the result for up to 1-2 weeks so the epidemilogist says we are to treat the kids with antibiotics too--just in case.
--Note to self and everyone else:
Get TDAP as soon as possible!

4 comments:

Kris said...

Oh, the good 'ol ER. I really DON'T miss all the cooties I got while working there. I hope that everybody gets healthy really soon & that you can actually relax & enjoy your forced vacation. Take a nap, girl!

Kori said...

That is crazy! You'd think being exposed to all those germs you'd be immune. We all have cold right now at our house so it makes me wonder. Good thing I vaccinate my children, right!

Amber H. said...

Oh my gosh Amanda! Holy smokes! Wow, I'm sorry about this. How insane though, seriously. Well, at least you were lucky enough to be exposed to a place where there are a lot of doctors and nurses around so they could actually find it and treat it. I hope the rest of your family will be ok and you can all get better quickly! Let me know if you need anything!

Unknown said...

What a mess! Hopefully/probably we will all be o.k. Guess this all goes under the heading of "You never know!"
Take care of yourself and take the time to do something fun for yourself!