Monday, July 12, 2010

While Parents Are Away, Kids Will Play!

Reagan and Travis's New Mexico Vacation >>>June 2010

While we were enjoying our Hawaiian getaway, our kids were enjoying themselves--Grandma and Granddad style! They went on a week long road trip through New Mexico, up to Chama to ride the famous train there. They made lots of fun stops along the way and enjoyed lots of cool sights. I'm pretty positive Reagan and Travis were having so much fun, they forgot to miss us!
Reagan and Travis have enjoyed telling tall tales of their adventures, but getting the play by play as we went through Grandma and Granddad and Reagan's (she borrowed a camera from Grandma) pictures was priceless! The kids truly loved the time they spent with my parents and we are so thankful that they were able to not only help us with the kids, but give them their own little vacation too!
First--the train ride from Chama that crosses the Colorado border...Reagan said, "It was beautiful. I loved taking pictures out the windows, but it was long." Travis interrupted with "Yeah! And the train even broke down!" The story goes that there was a break down and they were stationary for almost a full hour...not to fun for anyone! But the views from the train must have made up for it because both kids agreed this was the funnest part of their trip.
View out the window while being "stranded":

Travis loves trains and is a trooper, but I think the wait may have gotten to him!

No worries...still having fun!

Along the drive, Reagan said they saw lots of wildlife. Her favorite was seeing all the deer and "some even up close." This is one of the bucks they saw. Awesome, huh?!
One of the fun stops they made along the way was at Elk Trail. Reagan said it was "Cool...but I wanted to walk the whole trial." Crazy girl!


Travis is enjoying his picture being taken less and less these days....

In Albuquerque, the kids got to ride the tram to the top of the mountain over looking the city. The kids both thought it was scary to be up so high, but were amazed that some people--"only the workers" sat literally on top of the trams. Now those seats must be amazing!


I'm not sure who took this pic...it just is crazy because it looks like the dog is driving the 4wheeler. Reagan insists there was a man there...but he seems to have missed our picture! Too funny!
More roadside deer.... Travis kept repeating, "There was lots of deer Mom...lots of deer!" So exciting to this little outdoor enthusiast!
There was also stops at at least 2 lakes, but none of us can remember the names today. Granddad broke out with his pontoon boat and fished and even caught a few. The kids loved hanging out on the "beach" with Grandma.

At one lake, Reagan found this little turtle. It was their pet for the trip. (It now lives at Grandma and Granddad's.)
My brother Levi also met up with the vacationing bunch. He is working as a wildlife researcher right now--aka lizard counter. He came bearing gifts of course: horny toads, one male and one female per my kiddos. They think Uncle Levi is the best. "He can catch any lizard!" and "I wish I could catch lizards like him!" are heard in conversations about Levi. What a fun Uncle! And I'm glad my kids find things in common with him, even if their interests are cold blooded!Next, it was off to Carlsbad Caverns. My parents made this trek with me lots of years ago and my mom said it has changed lots. She also insists that the caverns aren't shiny anymore and Reagan and Travis agreed. They said the caverns were cold though and they also loved the bats they saw.Reagan named off a ton of these to me. This particular room's name is Hall of Giants. Reagan thought the caverns were pretty cool, but she said Travis got bored and broke the rules and went under the railing...oops!Next was the Desert Museum. The kids loved this and wanted a pic of every animal they saw on here. I insisted they had to choose only their favorites since there were so many pics and they finally agreed on--snakes, an eagle, and an elk.The trip home was littered with short stops. This one looked like the kids favorites as they explored..."Travis just had to touch the water," Reagan said.

Travis says he was Super Man in this picture, "climbing all the hills". I think he means Spider Man 'cuz I'm sure Super Man would just fly, but I'm just the mom and what do I know?!The lizard pic reminded me of Travis....cool, huh?!
I know the kids had an awesome time with my parents and I am so grateful that they were able to spend some fun, quality time together. Jason and I were blessed to not have any worries about our kids while we were gone. What a blessing grandparents are!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good choice of pics Reagan and Travis. Looks like you had a REALLY great time traveling in New Mexico and Colorado with Grandma & Grandpa.
So glad that you had a great vacation and enjoyed yourselves!