Friday, March 6, 2009

Papa

When I was a little girl, there was no person I loved more than my Papa. He was my "dad" till I turned 3 and got a dad...he was my grandpa and spoiled me silly. Some of my earliest memories are of things I did with him. Like riding in his trucks "old mustard" and "mayonnaise" (you can guess the colors of those old beaters...), pruning rose bushes, and going to Disneyland--he loved the rides almost as much as me...even into my teenage years! He even used to let me play with his elbow skin...weird habit I know. As I grew older, I learned a lot from my Papa. Like how to make a beautiful bow, build a flower arrangement out of anything, and just be creative. He also was a great example in the gospel and was the priesthood holder in my life who blessed me, baptized me, and confirmed me.
My Papa passed away early Wednesday morning. I'm sad he's gone, but grateful. Now he is with my Granny (he called her that because she hated it!) and now he doesn't have to suffer. He had a stroke several years ago and has lived in a care center mostly since my grandma died. It broke my heart to see him there--in such a fragile state . I am so grateful for Heavenly Father's Plan and my knowledge of Eternity and the comfort of knowing I will see him again one day.

7 comments:

Amy Allred said...

I am so sorry Amanda. I tried to call you yesterday to check on things. I'll talk you ya tommorrow, if you need anything let me know.

Luke & Erica said...

Amanda I am sorry for your loss. I know what it is like to care about a grandparent so much. My thoughts are with you and your family. It is hard to let go, but comforting to know that he is now restored.

Dana said...

We're praying that your family will make it through this tough time. I hope all goes well with the funeral on Monday. We love you.

Jeremy.Celeste said...

I am sorry to hear about your Papa. Those are fun memories you can carry with you forever. What sweet and special times you had with him. I wish I was there to help you in any way. We are praying for you and your family. What a wonderful thing to know about the plan our Father in Heaven has for us.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful testimony of the power of love...and the atonement.
Your Papa was a very special man and I will NEVER see yellow roses again without thinking of him.
Much love to you.

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry for all that your papa had to go through. How wonderful to know he is reunited with loved ones and through with mortal suffering. I hope all goes well with the funeral and you feel the comfort and peace the spirit brings.

Melanie Hahn said...

Hi Amanda, It's so hard when family leaves this life, but you are very strong to remember that we will all be together again. You and your family will be in my prayers! Love to you!