Sunday, March 1, 2009

My First Big Race

Okay, so it wasn't a really what you would imagine. There was no crowd cheering, no finish line tape to run through, and no medals. It was just a fun run they had here in Thatcher for the Hospital's Health Fair. I saw lots of familiar faces and even made some new friends and then we were off. I ran the 5k. After the pack of "real" runners took off, I only got passed by 2 people I am proud to say. I know I wasn't the fastest by far, but I was glad not to be the slowest too! I ran it in 32:36. That is SLOW! But I don't care and I had fun doing it. Next time, I plan to push myself harder and run the 10k (I think I could have done it this time, but was just too chicken.)
PS--I honestly don't love running (I do love sports though...and haven't ran races since junior high when I was actually a sprinter!)-- I just love the way I feel afterwards. A "runner's high" is amazing! I used to run a faithful 3 miles daily before I had Reagan...but everything changes when you have kids and I have hit the road and treadmill off and on for the past five or so years. I have lots of friends who run and several times have been tempted to run with them in races before but just never done it. Hopefully, I'll stay dedicated to my new habit!

2 comments:

Heather A said...

Good for you! I admit I also do not love running and although our ward has started a running group every Saturday morning and a lot of my friends go, I have still not even felt tempted to attend. Maybe someday . . . but not too hopeful.

Amy Allred said...

WAY TO GO!!!!