Thursday, April 22, 2010

Goodbye Grant...

We adopted Grant--our blue weimaraner-- from the pound in Tucson. His dark coat and solemn eyes melted our hearts. We wanted him to be a part of our family after just spending a few minutes with him.
Over the past four years, Grant has become our "favorite." He went on ranger rides with us, on camping and hunting trips and entertained us with his "seriously playful" attitude. We have always thought he had to have been someone's house dog because he is so well behaved and calm (for a weimaraner anyways!) when inside or around people. He was great with our kids and seemed to enjoy their banter.
Grant recently had been losing weight and become less and less active. We were convinced something had to be wrong with him, as he just wasn't himself. I worried it was cancer, Jason hoped for it to just be a worm. We were both wrong.
Last week, Grant was diagnosed with Diabetes. His glucose was over 400 and the vet said our only option was to treat him as a human--with insulin twice daily, blood sugar checks twice daily, urine checks, human meals with balanced diet, and very close monitoring. Lots of resposibility--emotional, financial, and physical for a busy little family. We were so torn...
He faded fast...by yesterday, he was so thin...wouldn't eat...or even stand up. It broke our heart to lose him--he was a part of our family...even if he was "just a dog."
Goodbye Grant. We love you and will miss you. (Peter already does...we can tell because of all the howling he has been doing since you've been gone.) Tell Monson hi for us....

4 comments:

Melanie Hahn said...

I'm so sorry Amanda! I'm a pet lover too and when I've lost them I have cried just like they are family (Well to us they are family). So I know how you feel and I'm sorry you have to go through this!!

Amy Allred said...

Awe....I am so sorry! :-( That makes me so sad! I hope you guys are coping well. He was a beautiful dog (even though he peed on everything in sight while we were camping! haha) ;) Well miss him!

Amber H. said...

This totally makes me cry! I'm so sad for you guys! He really was a great dog, so good to my crazy kids and put up with all their abuse Ü Big hugs to you guys.

Kori said...

All of your dogs have people names, interesting. Very sad to hear of his passing. Dogs really are a part of the family.