Sunday, November 9, 2008

Jason's First Deer

My sweet husband is a lot of things, but well...a hunter is not at the top of the list. He didn't hunt as a kid--his family isn't into it. In fact, he only started a few years ago and goes out with his best friend Shaffen. (I even tease him that I married him 'cuz he wasn't a hunter as I remember the turmoil it brought to my family as a kid!). So, you can imagine my surprise as I get a phone call saying that he shot his first deer this year--at 8:45 on opening day! He was ecstatic! "I can put another notch in my man belt" was one of my favorite comments. He separated from the other guys he was hunting with and saw a cow on the side of hill and started glassing that area. Then, he saw the buck and shot him (thanks to his fancy new scope!) It's not the biggest buck on the block--but it makes him proud and will definitely fill the freezer!
Yeah Daddy! I think Reagan may have been even more proud than Jason was! She loved touching it and even played with its tail--gross! What a girl I have! Speaking of crazy girl--Uncle Scott killed this bird/woodpecker and Reagan not only carried it around for a bit, but she even managed to pull its tongue out. All the boys were grossed out, but not her...what is a girl to do???? (Mind you she wanted and got her finger nails painted earlier that day!!)
We spent a few days camping with Shaffen and Misty and the boys. The kids had fun getting dirty, riding the 3wheeler, building forts with Uncle Tanner, and playing with cousins. It was nice and cool and we even had lots of visitors--the boys scouts had a camparee at Gilespie Wash on Friday! Crazy timing!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OK I will take the blame for Jason not being raised in a "hunting family" but obviously he has overcome any bias that I raised him with and is doing quite well "in spite" of his mother.
Congratulations Jason.
Now, as to Reagan...I just don't understand how that beautiful little blonde can be ok with bugs and bird tongues!
Yuck!!
Love you guys

Becca said...

I love that Reagan is girly, yet tom-boy in the same sentence...a girl after my own heart! And I'm pretty sure she gets that from her mom, don't ya think? It's so great to see your kids explore the great outdoors...I think I've forgotten what that is (too much big city!)

Amy Allred said...

Way to go on the deer!! Scott was sure proud. Or Jealous ;)Maybe next year you and Scott should put in together (Shaffen too) so he won't go with some others I won't mention and leave me for weeks at a time. I know Misty and Amanda won't allow it.