Monday, May 4, 2009

Fish Tales

Last weekend, my parents went to Roosevelt Lake and invited my kiddos. The kids were excited and Jason and I graciously accepted (as we both had to work). Reagan and Travis made the trek with Tanya and Bruce on Thursday night and didn't come back till Sunday afternoon. When they got home, they were full of FISH TALES! Reagan loved telling us about the fish she caught. "It was THIS BIG!" she said as she held her arms out wider and wider each time she told the story. Spoken like a true fisherman. She also loved playing with the blue gill (something my dad used to let me do--just hook a string through its lip and instant toy!?). Reagan also enjoyed her new "pets"...minnows! She would take a few back to camp each day in water bottles and each time they would die--rather quickly. Couldn't have been 'cuz she was packing them around and leaving them out in the heat right?! Travis's fish tale was a bit more of a nail biter for us. While playing in the boat in the middle of the lake, he decided to lean a bit too far out of the boat to touch the water and ended up in the lake--my dad caught his foot as he fell in. My first reaction was..."Its okay Mom. He had his life jacket on right?" Then, I cringed as my mom said the words..."No. He hated wearing it because it choked him so he didn't have it on." Luckily, Travis was fine. My Dad laughed, Reagan cried, and my mom got a lecture from me on being the adult and making my kids do things they don't like--like wearing their life jackets. Ahhhh...fish tales!

As a side note: Travis's new favorite word is FISH! And Reagan missed her "pets" so much, we finally decided to replace her birthday beta (that committed fish suicide as it kept jumping out of the bowl) with a new beta...Reagan named him "Jumper" no less!

4 comments:

Heather A said...

Oh, the joy and heartache of kids! Sounds like they had a good time!

Joy said...

Oh my goodness, that would scare me to DEATH to hear! Glad it turned out ok.

Melanie Hahn said...

I love your blog, you are so entertaining the way you write! Glad to hear your dad caught Travis in time, that's a very scary story!

Kori said...

That's awesome that your parents took your kids away for a few days, nice break even if you were working.